There are also weathered sculptures on the buttresses of the south side, unfortunately including an example of the ("Jews' sow") that faces the former Jewish Quarter.The sculpture is quite damaged, but shows Jews suckling on a large sow (female pig).Another ongoing project is to replace the greenish limestone blocks (from 19th-century restorations) with white stone blocks from the Czech Republic to better match the original work.As of our visit (March 2008) the new blocks could be seen stacked behind the east end.
The brochure published by the Diocese describes it as "the visible expression of the Gospel - the good news of the love of God become man." The east pillars of the crossing have 14th-century statues of Sts. Notable examples include an elegant stone statue in the south aisle and the St. On the south transept wall is a 16th-century crucifix containing real human hair, which legend has it will grow to knee-length when Judgment Day is imminent.The Sailer Chapel altar was dedicated in 2004 as a place for services and private prayer.In the last few years, extensive cleaning of the west facade has been underway and (as of 2008) is almost complete.Just inside the door are intriguing sculptures of the Devil (left) and the "Devil's Grandmother" (right).One of the tympanums depicts the Resurrection of Christ, with an angel taking Christ by the hand and helping him out of what looks like a sandcastle.
Private kontakte Regensburg
The canopied Nativity Altar in the chapel dates from c.1415-20.The cathedral's boys' choir ( - "Cathedral Sparrows") are highly acclaimed and can be heard during Mass at 10am on Sundays and holidays.Built in the 1300s on the site of earlier cathedrals, Regensburg Cathedral (Dom St. Its harmonious exterior, alive with interesting medieval sculptures, has recently been fully cleaned. Inside are even more sculptures along with an extensive collection of medieval stained glass.The floor plan of the cathedral is simple and compact, with no real transept and no ambulatory.
A small, fairly low gallery runs around the interior walls, unfortunately blocking part the lower parts of the stained glass windows. The three west portals lead into three aisles, which culminate in the Altar of St.
This image - intended to be degrading and insulting since the pig is unclean in Judaism - was widespread in German-speaking lands.
Another infamous example of a is at the City Church in Wittenberg, which was mentioned with approval by Martin Luther in his anti-Jewish writings.
The main portal was done by 1410 and the nave was finally roofed in 1442.
Contruction came to a stop, although the cathedral was not completed, sometime around 1520. The cathedral received the usual Baroque makeover in 1613-49, consisting mainly of new furnishings and the addition of a dome over the crossing.